- Date Posted
May 20, 2019
- Salary Range
9 - 10
SEEKING PEER SUPPORT SPECIALISTS FOR OUR MT. PLEASANT LOCATION
First Resources CHOICE program is seeking the right candidate to fill the part-time Peer Support Specialist position. A PSS is a person with a mental health and/or co-occurring conditions, who is certified or willing to be trained and certified to help others with similar conditions. The ideal candidate would be responsible to assist others to identify, and achieve specific life/recovery goals.
As a Peer Support Specialist, you will:
- Work to instill hope, promote wellness, reduce stigma, increase access to care, enhance life skills, provided education and walk side by side with individuals as they build or rebuild meaningful lives in their communities.
- Individuals applying for this position should be familiar with and promote the philosophy of the drop in center which includes providing a welcoming and safe environment where peers can go for social activities, mutual support, basic needs and resources.
- Provide encouragement and coaching to people who are working to develop daily living skills & healthy habits.
- Promptly document hours worked and complete progress notes by the required deadline.
- Work and maintain an established a schedule with the supervisor.
- Candidate will maintain strict confidentiality, stay in close communication with other team members and supervisor.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must have a valid driver’s license, a good driving record and show proof of auto insurance.
- Satisfactory results on background check pertaining to criminal and abuse registries including checks of the Dependent Adult and Child Abuse registries, the Sex Offender registry, and the criminal history check
- Experience is preferred, but not required. We provide the training and tools that you need to be successful at First Resources Crop.
Candidates for positions as peer support workers require more than experience with mental health. It will require empathy for individuals served, experience with all basic functions of this job description, a willingness to continue their education as a PSS.
*It is required that candidates have personal experience with their own mental health and are now able to mentor and share their own stories*.